Do you want to smoke food at home? We got you covered! Our review of the best indoor electric smokers will allow you to make your life easier with just a few clicks. Electric smokers are safe for indoor use because they don’t use fuel and can be used year-round.
In this article, you can also find answers to questions like:
- Can a smoker be used indoors?
- What are the safety precautions to follow for electric smokers at home?
- What grills are allowed on apartment balconies?
- Is it illegal to grill on a balcony?
Our Top Picks
Below is a summary of the top picks from our SummerBaron.com team. To help you understand where each pick ranked, we have included “badges” next to each pick’s key findings. “Best Overall” is a combination of price and value. “Best Budget” is great for summer lovers who want a top-quality product but are on a tighter budget. “High End” is for people who just want the best, and price is no object.
Reviews of Each Pick
Are you just starting your smoking food journey? Don’t worry my young novice, i’ve got you covered. This is the list of the top electric smokers for people starting out.
George Foreman Electric Smoker
The George Foreman smoker comes with a fat-removing slope that aids in healthy eating habits.
It has a removable stand.
This is an apartment-approved smoker.
It has a removable lid which you have to set aside when checking on your food.
Our top pick for the best indoor electric smoker is the George Foreman Electric Smoker. With an attractive price tag, this indoor electric smoker brings you both functionality and aesthetics. It is small, lightweight, and portable so that you can fit this smoker anywhere.
The George Foreman GFO3320GM Indoor Electric Smoker is the best indoor smoker because it offers you the convenience of electric smoking with the competence of efficient and aromatic smoking:
- It comes with a serving capacity of 15+ people.
- There’s no likelihood of a flare-up since it uses electricity.
- This smoker guarantees excellent results with its inbuilt temperature gauge that lets you control the heat.
Want smoky, full-flavored meals every day? Get the George Foreman Indoor Electric Smoker now!
Can a smoker be used indoors?
Since electric smokers are powered by electricity, they do not carry the possibility of setting off the smoke alarms or cause any flare-ups indoors. Electric smokers can be used indoors because they don’t include fuel like propane gas or charcoal.
The best reason you should get an electric smoker is that you can use them throughout the year. Using combustible fuel indoors is highly dangerous, so the best way to get your food smoked without high-risk liabilities is to use an electric smoker.
What are the safety precautions to follow for electric smokers at home?
According to the National Fire Protection Association, home grills cause an average of 10,600 fires. They found that gas grills were the primary culprits of these fires.
Here are some safety precautions to follow if you are considering using an electric smoker at home:
- Don’t leave your electric smoker unattended when in use.
- Always make sure that your smoker is on level ground.
- Consider getting a mat for your electric smoker. Mates designed for use under electric smokers are flame-resistant, so you have an extra layer of protection when smoking food indoors. We recommend the Electric mat by Cibicon. It comes with waterproof backing so that it won’t slip or get soaked.
- Ensure that you clean the smoker thoroughly after each use so that there are no charred remains that may deteriorate your trays and grills or cause a fire in extreme cases.
- Check that you always unplug your electric smoker after use.
What grills are allowed on apartment balconies?
There are many different types of grills and smokers that you can use indoors. With balconies, you get more freedom to use different types of smokers, including gas or charcoal, because you have an open space for the smoke and fire.
Here are some great grills that you can get for your apartment balcony:
- Masterbuilt Front Controller Electric Smoker
- The Weber kettle Charcoal Grill
- Emson 8303 Electric Smoker
- Cuisinart Petit Gourmet Gas Grill
Is it illegal to grill on a balcony?
Different states have different laws when it comes to grilling and smoking on balconies. Your landlord or the community you live in has a say in whether you are allowed to grill. Generally, electric smokers are apartment and balcony approved thanks to their minimal wood or charcoal fuel requirement.
However, you do have to follow specific laws and regulations to grill food on your balcony.
Some of the most common laws you will find on balcony grilling are:
- You must have a fire extinguisher within 10 feet of the grill.
- Your grill should be at least 30 inches from the apartment building.
- You cannot operate open-flame cooking devices on combustible balconies (example: wooden decks)
Here’s a video showing an indoor electric smoker in action.
Nordic Ware Stovetop Kettle Smoker
It is very affordable.
This smoker is compatible with induction stoves.
It comes with a drip pan, cooking tray, thermometer, and recipe booklet.
It is not dishwasher-friendly
You can use this smoker on stovetops that use gas, electricity, or even on ceramic stoves. It can heat up to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, ideal for the perfect smoked meal. You also get 100 percent natural hickory and applewood chips free along with this purchase.
Landmann USA Smoky Mountain Electric Smoker
It has handles for easy transportation.
This smoker has a temperature control adapter.
The Landmann USA Smoky Mountain Smoker has adjustable feet to level on uneven surfaces.
A gasket seal is absent in the smoker that helps you trap heat and smoke.
This item comes with a trio set tray that works as grease, water, and wood holder. It also has a rear panel vent that allows proper smoking and aids in releasing heat efficiently. This smoker offers the optimum range for heat control at 260 maximum temperatures.
Char-Broil Deluxe Digital Smoker
It comes fully assembled.
This smoker includes a grease tray that makes cleaning hassle-free
It comes with a large locking latch for an airtight seal.
The smoker’s glass door needs to be covered when not used to prevent it from getting damaged.
This smoker has an insulated double-wall stainless steel construction that retains heat well inside the smoke-box, which keeps the temperature consistent to ensure quality smoking.
It comes with wheels attached so that it is easy for transportation. It has a thermometer, making it easy to manage the temperature when cooking.
Breville Smoking Gun Food Smoker
This smoker has a compact storage ability
It is effortless to clean
The smoker has a flexible extender hose
You might need to replace batteries often with this smoker.
This portable food smoker is easy to use, light and made with stainless steel to enhance durability. This smoker is ideal for chefs and mixologists because of its lightweight portability along with its functionality. When you buy this smoker, you also get a recipe booklet to help you start your smoked meals.